Most Reverend Metropolitan of Cephalonia, Spyridon was born in
Pireaus in 1926. In 1953 he graduated from the School of Theology
of the University of Athens.
In March of 1951 he was ordained as deacon and later on, in January
1954, as priest by the popular bishops Alexios of Evripos and
Dionyssios of Rogon, under the venerable directive of then Archibishop
of Athens and All Greece Kyros Spyridon.
He served as deacon in the Church of St. Vassilios in Athens
(on Metsovou and Bouboulinas Str.) from 1951 until his ordination
as priest in the same church in 1954. From 1954 until 1971 he
served as Secretary and Chief Clergyman in the Holy Metropolis
of Thessaloniki, where during the period 1954 to 1958 he also
served as Chancellor and Preacher of the Cathedral Church of Panagia
Dexia of which he was a founder. From 1958 to 1971 he became Chancellor
and Preacher of the Cathedral Church of St. Gregory in Palamas
In 1972 he returned to his birthplace Pireaus and assumed the
position of Chancellor and Preacher of the Church of Evangelistria.
He was then summoned by the Most Reverend Metropolitan of Pireaus
Kyros Chrysostomos Tavladorakis to assume the position of Chief
Clergyman at the Holy Metropolis of Pireaus where the wise and
widely recognized for his piety hierarch recommended him in 1976
to become Bishop's Assistant.
ordination as Bishop of Neohorion took place on Sunday August
15th 1976 on the day of the celebration of the Dormition, in the
Church of Evangelistria.
He was elected Metropolitan of Cephalonia by the Venerable Hierarchy
of the Church of Greece in May of 1984 and his official enthronment
in the Holy Metropolis of Cephalonia took place on June 3rd of
the same year. He has since been widely recognized as an excellent
head of the Church of Cephalonia, succeeding in steering it in
calm and peaceful directions.
His days are literally consumed in every corner of the island,
officiating, preaching and bringing the Grace of the Gospel to
the people of God.
He established and operates a bookstore, a spiritual center,
a local radio station and established the Holy Metropolis on the
On his initiative, new wings, abbeys, halls, dining rooms and
guest houses have been constructed on all Monasteries and Convents
on the island. He also established the Ecclesiastic Museum at
St. Andrew's Convent.